Thursday 1 May 2008

Sun Bear

On one of the weekends, I visited the National Zoo, just want to see how a sun bear looks like. Below are some pictures taken by my friend:

Sun bear is the smallest in the bear family and is classified as an endangered and protected species. They can be found in tropical to subtropical regions of Southeast Asia, for example, Borneo, Sumatra, Peninsula Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos, Burma, and possibly southern China.

When I was in the zoo, I saw other bear species as well, but sun bear is really so small compared to the rest. According to the source, they could grow to approximately four and a half feet in length and average weight is less than 100 pounds. Most of them have a 'U' shape yellowish patch on the chest. In folklore, this yellow crescent is said to represent the rising sun and is apparently the origin of the name sun bear.


They are omnivorous. They eat small vertebrates such as lizards and nesting birds and fruit. They are also very fond of honey. The one I saw in the zoo however, very fond of peeling tree trunk skin. During the time when I visited them, one of it is biting the skin. Few hours later when I go back and visit them again, one of the bears already resting while the other bear still biting the skin. I saw the tree trunk is almost naked! Good jaw muscle and claws. It must be really enjoying its "toy" ... :)

To find out more about sun bear, visit this National Geographic link. Please help save this animal whenever you can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sun bear -- also known as Malayan Bear, relatively active among the bear bear family.
I wonder if they ever "hibernate in the tropical forest". :P